Subject: Re: Freeze again.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thong Pham <pham@uottawa.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/1998 17:47:26
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Brad Spencer wrote:

>    BTW, I did "make build" today without problems, so the system is kind of
>    stable - until it decides to freeze.  I will play with the debugger if
>    (when) the system freezes again.
>
>      -jm
>

> It made it through a 'make build' for me, also.  It wasn't until I started
> to use the system in the normal fashion [i.e. X, emacs, netacape, etc...]
> that it froze and I had corrupted filesystems.

My system BSD 1.3 also freeze.  This has to do with linear
memory access.  When kernel is compiled with

options INSECURE

The problem dissappear.  But I want to disable the
insecure options and used the aperture driver as mentioned
in XFree86 README.NetBSD.  However, I cannot locate the file
ap.o or apinstall on my system.  I have Matrox graphic
card, so it will use linear address.  It cannot be disable.

I am planning to download X11R6 source code from ftp.xfree86.org
may be this distribution has the aperture driver.  Anyone knows
where the aperture driver for NetBSD should be?

Thong