Subject: Re: Freeze again.
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/1998 08:38:10
On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 01:27:43AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Can you compile a kernel with ddb and do a traceback when it freezes?
> I'm anxious that we find out what is happening to your machine (no one
> else reports anything similar.)

Like this:

options         DIAGNOSTIC      # cheap kernel consistency checks
#options        DEBUG           # expensive debugging checks/support
options         KMEMSTATS       # kernel memory statistics (vmstat -m)
options         DDB             # in-kernel debugger
#options        KGDB            # remote debugger
#options        "KGDB_DEVNAME=\"com\"",KGDBADDR=0x3f8,KGDBRATE=9600
#makeoptions    DEBUG="-g"      # compile full symbol table

?

What do I do when it freezes?  :-)

I'll build a kernel now.  (I deleted the compile directory to be sure that
there are no old files left.. maybe that makes the problem go away as well
(ha, I'm not that lucky)).

Sure enough, I have three machines running 1.3 now and this is the only
one failing.  This one is the largest one with most load.  This is the
only one running PPP and having an SCSI controller.  The only one with
64 MB RAM and over 150 MB of swap.  The only one with a TCOM serial card
and de Ethernet card (the others have 3com509's).

Well, I'm building a new kernel now.. just give me somem isntructions for
the next freeze.

  -jm