Subject: Re: identifycpu() on a Cyrix 6x86
To: Kevin Cousins <kevinc@obelix.premium.com.au>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/02/1998 09:45:00
On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 09:32:28AM +1100, Kevin Cousins wrote:

> I guess that this is only really a cosmetic issue---the change of a
> '4' to a '5' in a boot message, but as a consequence I am confused as
> to whether or not to put "options I586_CPU" in my kernel config file.

Identifying Cyrix chips can be a bit confusing. I think the issue here
is that the 6x86 is almost, but not completely a 586. Also, it doesn't
have cpuid enabled by default (which makes it incompatible with the
Pentium as well), but does have the feature.

Not that it makes a difference in practice, as the NetBSD/i386 kernel
currently does not use any Pentium-speficic features, except for
the "coma" bug fix.

- Frank