Subject: Sudden freeze
To: Port-i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/1998 10:51:46
My 1.3 machine had been running happily (well, been running, at least)
all night long.  This morning I used Netscape, xterm etc. and then
suddenly I was no longer able to run shell commands.  I was able to
type in xterm windows, but the machine didn't load the commands (or
give me a new prompt).  It still responded to ping and routed packets
between PPP and Ethernet and I was still able to change focus with
mouse.  It was like the system couldn't load anything from the disk.

I have a NCR810 SCSI controller and my system disk hanging off it.
The SCSI LED was off, so I don't think the bus had frozen.  There
was no disk activity (IDE or SCSI).

I had to reboot, but no crash dump was created.. so I have no idea of
what had happened.  This machine worked very reliably under 1.2 so
I don't think there's a hardware problem..

Sigh, why doesn't 1.3 like me? :-(

  -jm