Subject: Re: 1.3 broken
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/1998 00:27:15
> > Obviously, this is a driver recompile, but assuming all else works and
> > the driver seems to work otherwise, this could be an interrupt problem
> > as well...
>
> I used the ast driver when creating the tcom driver (the cards are
> pretty much alike).  After posting this message I ran diff on tcom.c
> and boca.c and noticed that boca.c was setting ca.ca_noien to 0
> (ast.c sets it to 1) and "noien" sounds like "NO Interrupt ENable"
> to me, so I changed it to 0 in tcom.c - and it worked.

That's not noien means all right.  The AST boards are kind of funky.
The way they're set up, if the individual com ports have their IEN
bits set, they _don't_ signal interrupts properly.  (It was kind of
hokey, but that's what the docs said and thats how the boards work.
8-)

> Well, amanda ceased working.  Don't know if something in dump has
> changed and broken amanda... :-I

To quote the top of 'INSTALL':

>Be sure to read _ALL_ of this document before you try to install
>NetBSD/i386.

You might look in there.  8-)  (and yeah, i know there's a lot of
not-mandatory stuff in there... but there really is some good
information.)

chris