Subject: gdb single-stepping
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Keith Browne <tuxedo@interlog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/31/1998 22:00:27
I'm running NetBSD-1.3 beta on an Intel Pentium.  Tonight I decided to
use gdb to do some single-stepping in a small program I'd written;
it's probably the first time in some months that I'd used gdb on this
system, certainly the first since I upgraded to 1.3 beta.

Whenever I try to use 'next' to single-step through a call to a system
library, instead of treating the entire call as one step, gdb gives me
a stop at an address in "_DYNAMIC ()", for which there is no line
number information.  This behaviour occurs with the stock gdb binary
installed when I upgraded, and also with my own compilation of gdb
4.16.

Is this a known behaviour?  Is there a known fix?  Or should I just
bite the bullet and recompile everything from the NetBSD-1.3 sources
(full release)?

Keith Browne
tuxedo@interlog.com