Subject: Re: Intel Etherexpress PRO/10+
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Kevin Keyser <keyser@clio.rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/30/1998 13:15:54
On Jan 30, Manuel Bouyer wrote
> On Jan 29, Kevin Keyser wrote
> > I am having trouble getting NetBSD 1.3 to recognize an Intel
> > Etherexpress PRO/10+ on my system (486/33/8M).
> >
> > First, and according to the INSTALL file, I set the board's port to
> > 0x360.  For the IRQ, INSTALL said "any"; I set it to 10.  In this case,
> > when booting the install floppy, the device probe did not find iy0.
> >
> > Then I went back and set the board IRQ to 7.  This time, the probe
> > found it but said it expected IRQ 10.  I went on and configured the
> > interface and it misbehaved in the way I would expect for a mismatched
> > IRQ level (ie. can send echo requests but not get replies, ARP entry
> > shows up OK on other nodes, etc.)
> > [...]
>
> Hum, make sure nothig else uses irq10. The board should show up whatever IRQ
> it is set, unless this IRQ is used by another device.

Exactly.  That's what seems weird to me too.  This machine has very
little else on it; no SCSI, no sound, 1 IDE controller (irq14), fdc
(irq6), and 2 serial (irq4,3).  For certain there is nothing else
at IRQ 10.  Does anyone know what else could cause this behavior?

> I use here a etherexpress pro/10 (don't know if it is a 10+ or not,
> I think it is) at irq10, it works. The chip on it is a "FA82595TX".

Thanks.  I'll look closer at mine (next time I am near it) to see if
it is the same.

> --
> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.           Manuel.Bouyer@lip6.fr
>      {Net,Free}BSD: 21 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
> --

Kevin