Subject: Re: wdc0(1): lost interrupt
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/30/1998 10:26:29
>> This means that the driver waited for an interrupt and it never happened
>> (This is a known problem with the IDE driver under heavy load).

>Excuse me?  Since when is this is a `known problem'?
>The only time this has ever been reported with IDE disks, AFAIK, is
>when a disk spins down (usually due to APM, but some desktops will
>spin down the disk as well) in the middle of a transfer.  In this
>case, the transfer is retried and unless you get a `hard error
>{read,writ}ing fsbn ...'  message, you can assume that nothing was
>lost.
>Please do *NOT* start wild rumours.

What do you mean, Charles?  You, yourself, worked over the IDE driver
a few years ago to try and make this thing go away.  Granted it
shouldn't happen on modern hardware, but it was a "known" problem with
certain older hardware, where strange IDE controllers and/or drives
didn't always like to get the timing right.

If this is modern hardware, then this shouldn't be the same "known
problem".  The stuff should work.  But if this is a bunch of old
surplus junk, then there is a fairly well-established history.

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.