Subject: Re: How to make ROM BIOS time used by Netscape mailer same as date
To: Bill&Virginia Hodges <hodges@oz.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/30/1998 11:24:13
On Jan 30, Bill&Virginia Hodges wrote
> I am running NetBSD-1.3 installed as an upgrade to 1.2.
> I have used date to set the time.  When I send email
> using NetScape 4.04 (linux elf version) the time attached
> to my mail is 8 hours off.  It sems that the delta remains constant
> regardless of whether I set the time in ROM BIOS or using "date".
>
> How can I resolve this confusion?
>
> BTW I saw no reference to TZ in the installation - is this relevant?

It may be. This really sounds like a timezone problem.
Under NetBSD, the timezone is set by /etc/localtime, which is a link
to the rigth timezone file in /usr/share/zoneinfo.
I don't know how it works under linux, but you should set up you
/emul/linux so that linux binaries uses the same timezone.

If there is no references to this in the INSTALL notes you should
send a pr about this.