Subject: Re: ZNYX four-port card WAS Re: Multiport ethernet board ?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/1998 06:48:23
On Jan 27,  2:07pm, Ted Lemon wrote:
}
} I'm using the 10baseT cards, not the 10/100 cards, so it's not
} surprising that I've had different results.   However, yours is the
} first report of badness I've heard on those cards.   You're running a
} fairly old driver - you should probably yupgrade.

I've had problems with a ZX346 on a FreeBSD box (which uses the
same driver).  In my case, I can't see how the thing could possibly
work, since the driver relies on the onboard ROM to tell it which
GP register bits to look at and frob to figure out the network speed.
The driver's interpretation of the ROM contents matched the ancient
documentation for this card I found on the Znyx ftp site, but this
didn't appear to match the way the card behaved.  The driver also
appeared to have a bug in how it decoded the board ID from the ROM
contents, which is why it reports a ZX34X instead of a ZX346.

I whacked on the driver to make it work with my card and reported
my findings to Matt, who wasn't inclined to update the driver since
he hadn't heard of any other reports of problems with this card.
Since then, I've been afraid of getting an updated version of the
driver since I don't want to break something that's working because
the machine containing the card is several hundred miles away.

			---  Truck