Subject: Re: Booting 1.3 with Phoenix BIOS
To: port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, Kirk Corey <kirk-corey@uiowa.edu>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/1998 18:01:30
Excerpts from netbsd: 27-Jan-98 Booting 1.3 with Phoenix BIOS Kirk
Corey@uiowa.edu (2468*)

> If I still need to recompile, will the same patch work?

Yes, probably.
The file to patch is now
usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/lib/crt/bootsect/start_bootsect.S,
but the piece of code in question is identical to the old start.S.
It's not a particulary nice patch, however - you could simply rip out
the "fd" part.
The tool to install the bootstrap is "installboot" now.
Or, if your partitioning scheme allows it, use a boot
selector (eg os-bs).

(One day I'll add an argument to "installboot" which allows to
hardwire the boot device into the boot sector...)

best regards
Matthias