Subject: Re: Problems booting from SCSI disk
To: Dominic J Hulewicz <dom@inta.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/1998 11:21:35
On Tue, Jan 27, 1998 at 09:27:19AM +0000, Dominic J Hulewicz wrote:
> I have freshly installed NetBSD 1.3/i386, and everything works fine apart
> from booting from SCSI disk. I can boot from floppy, interrupt the loader
> and then boot from sd0:netbsd, but it won't boot automatically.

[...]

This seems to be, unfortunately, a common problem with the 1.3 install:
somehow it gets things wrong with Adaptec SCSI controllers.

At first I thought it was a geometry problem, but it has been suggested
to me that the boot code in the MBR might be wrong, and this could
be the problem.

Could you try booting a DOS floppy and doing a "fdisk /mbr" so that
the original DOS bootcode is installed (this should leave your
partition info intact), and then try again?

- Frank