Subject: Re: PCMCIA sm card and IBM Thinkpad 755C not working
To: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/1998 20:36:10
Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se> writes:

> Hi Sean! :-)

Hej!

> Get your machine going in Win95 mode again (you *DO* have that
> partition still around, I hope ... ;-), and choose the ThinkPad Tools
> utility. Using that (or whatever other means you can find (can it be
> done from the setup?!)), switch off the parallel port. (If you want to
> be on the safe side - switch off everything you don't need: IR port,
> sound, what have you).

Win95?  Never had that. :)

I turned off the printer with the easy setup ROM tool,
and did this:

> Comment out all lpt* support from your kernel.
> Config, remake, install and reboot.

Which works in some senses:

	-- no more colour change
	-- no more error messages

but not in others:

	packets go out ok
	something that looks vaguely like packets comes in
	but what comes in looks like garbage

I am still scratching my head about this.

When I get an idea of what is happening to the packets and
can figure out how to do transfer some traces around I
will follow up.

> In my case that leaves me without a parallel port but *with* Ethernet,
> and easy choice for me.

Sure, I don't care about the parallel port or much else.

	Sean.