Subject: Re: PCMCIA sm card and IBM Thinkpad 755C not working
To: None <smd@ebone.net>
From: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/1998 19:25:51
Hi Sean! :-)

smd@ebone.net:
>   I have run into a problem with a Megahertz ethernet card
> model CC10BT and an IBM Thinkpad 755C (model 9545).

> I get the "pcmcia0: card irq 7" message, the text on the
> screen changes colour from white to yellow, and I get
> "sm1: device timeout" errors whenever I try to xmit a packet.

I don't have the full solution, but in my case I have a work-around.
Of course both laptop and ethernet card are different (TP 560X, 3Com
589D), but this might be IBM related:

| lpt2 at isa0 port 0x3bc-0x3bf: polled
| sm1 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x3c0-0x3cf: Megahertz X-JACK Ethernet

Get your machine going in Win95 mode again (you *DO* have that
partition still around, I hope ... ;-), and choose the ThinkPad Tools
utility. Using that (or whatever other means you can find (can it be
done from the setup?!)), switch off the parallel port. (If you want to
be on the safe side - switch off everything you don't need: IR port,
sound, what have you).

Comment out all lpt* support from your kernel.
Config, remake, install and reboot.

In my case that leaves me without a parallel port but *with* Ethernet,
and easy choice for me.

I have noted that the LPT port sits just below the Ethernet card in
terms of I/O base. I wonder if it's not clean. I wonder if it goes
beyond the I/O base that is reported, so that when the kernel tries to
access the sm1 (or ep1, in my case), it really hits the (IBM
extended?) lpt2 or something.

I'm still working on this on and off, but yell if you find something
out.

Standards are good - you know what to "enhance" ... :-(

				Cheers,
				  /Liman
# Lars-Johan Liman			 ! Internet: liman@sunet.se
# Ebone/NORDUnet/SUNET Operations Centre ! BITNET  : LIMAN@SEARN
# Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden	 ! HTTP    : //www.sunet.se/~liman
#					 ! Voice   : Int +46 8 - 790 65 60