Subject: Re: Multiport ethernet board ?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/21/1998 15:24:09
Heh. I'd guess there's no point continuing with 10Mbit/sec chips
anymore: the price differential is small enough that it's not worth
the inventory costs.

>for some strange reason, mine all ended up at the same IRQ. I haven't bothered
>to look at it or decide whether I care)..

This is normal. The four-port chips have an on-board "PCI" bus that
glues the four chips together behind a PCI-PCI bridge. The PPB itself
only consumes one IRQ on the host side.

(If memory serves, the two-port cards just glom two PCI chips onto a
single board, which would explain why they use two IRQs.)