Subject: Re: Multiport ethernet board ?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/21/1998 09:32:53
> > I need to set up a firewall for my lab here. Could somone recommend
> > a good multiport ethernet board for NetBSD ?
> There are two-port cards available from SMC and ZNYX, and four-port cards
> available from Cogent and ZNYX. The SMC cards use two INTs, the ZNYX and
> Cogent cards only use one INT.

I noticed that Adaptec also had a DEC Tulip-based multiport card.

Its a shame that the only the single 10/100base-TX cards are cheap.
The guys makeing the multi-port cards still really zing you.

It would be nice to turn NetBSD into a dandy little hub/switch/router.
Who needs a 100base-TX hub at $50-$100/port if one could run a spare
pc as a real 16-port router?

-wolfgang