Subject: Re: IP load balancing?
To: None <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Kevin M. Lahey <kml@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/1998 19:51:09
In message <XFMail.980120193354.gelbard@engr.orst.edu>Nathan Gelbard writes
>I just recieved a new (free) network card for my NetBSD 1.3 box.
>I already have one, and I also have 2 IPs. I'd like to put both
>in (for kicks?), and do 'IP load balancing.' Is this possible, and
>would it speed anything up?

If the interfaces were on a switched network or different subnets,
you *might* be able to get improved performance.  Alas, NetBSD
doesn't really have an easy way to configure this sort of IP load
balancing right now.  BSDI, however, has a really cool virtual
interface called, IIRC, 'pif' that allows this kind of thing.
It sure would be cool to have something simlar in NetBSD.

Kevin