Subject: Re: 1.3 does not seem to grok my adaptec scsi card
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Allan E. Strand <astrand@linum.cofc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/1998 22:04:43
Hi all,

I wrote a note to the list a week or so ago mentioning that I could
not get my adaptec AHA-2940 to work with 1.3.  I provided some
information about boot messages (given in the quoted message below)
and received some advice to check the settings of the adaptor BIOS.

Well I tried every combination of settings and none changed the
results from my boot-up.  The board was still timing out.  As you may
remember, however, the machine boots up and runs fine under 1.2.1 with
the adaptec default settings and most (if not all, its been a few
days) variant settings.

I then removed the CDROM and tape drive from the SCSI bus (both of
which work under 1.2.1).  Also removed all other boards except an
ethernet card, and an ATI SVGA card.  Now my system has 82M ram, a
pentium 133, an adaptec 2940, and a micropolis 4421 drive at device 0.
It still doesn't work under 1.3 (fine still under 1.2.1). However, the
error messages I now get are new and different.

Here is a transcript:

ahc1 at pci at device 9 function 0
ahc1: interrupt at irq 11
ahc1: aic7870 single channel SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
scsibus @ ahc1 channel0: 8 targets
ahc1: ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during scsiint 0x88 scb(255)
ahc1: ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during scsiint 0x88 scb(255)
ahc1: ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during scsiint 0x88 scb(255)
ahc1: ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during scsiint 0x88 scb(255)
ahc1: ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during scsiint 0x88 scb(255)
ahc1: ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during scsiint 0x88 scb(255)
ahc1: ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during scsiint 0x88 scb(255)
ahc1: ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during scsiint 0x88 scb(255)
etc...

Changing SCSI bios settings with this minimal setup does not seem to
have an effect here either.  Clearly, I don't understand the SCSI
interface very well, nevertheless, I wonder how the same configuration
works so well under 1.2.1 and not at all under 1.3.  I'd like to use
1.3 if I can get it to work.

Any ideas??
Cheers,
A.

--
Allan E. Strand                Internet:   stranda@cofc.edu
Department of Biology          Phone:      (803) 953-8085