Subject: Re: IOMega Ditto
To: i386-port NetBSD list <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Civati <paul@xciv.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/1998 14:44:48
Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@labitzke.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> > > d) Which alternatives may I try? I need to backup a 8GB-harddisk. The
> > > Ditto is supposed to provide storage for 3,5-7,0GB.
>
> > Have you considered using 4+ GB magneto-optical disk storage?
>
> Not yet. The last informations I had about those drives were, that they
> cost quite some money. I think the same applies for other tape drives,
> esp. DAT-drives as Jukka Marin suggested. At least it seems to boil down
> to "use SCSI if possible. It's worth the cost." Thx.

Have you looked at the Seagate Tapstor Travan devices?

The 8000E-S is an external SCSI device, will do 4Gb native, or 8Gb /w
compression, the data transfer speed, according to the specs, is
better than DAT too.  Approx ~315GBP incl. VAT here in the UK.

  <URL:http://www.seagate.com/tape/tapestor.shtml>

Now, what I'm not sure of, and the thing that puts me off, is how
you'd get such a device to work under NetBSD.  For instance, how
would you know what ufsdump parameters to use, as far as how
big the device is, tape length, etc?

-Paul-