Subject: A positive comment about 1.3 Sysinst
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.futureone.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/1998 07:11:13
I would just like to say I finally overcame (partially) My fear of upgrade and
took the plunge on 1.3 install.  (its the plunge because I have no !@#$ backup
devices <shiver>)

I found the sysinst system very easy to use as far as the upgrade was
concerned.  A few problems caused me to have to repeat things. (ran out of
space, clean some up, try again, complain about pre-existing mounts)  But alot
of it was easily solved by just rebooting and trying again.  I have to say,
after 3-4 years of dual floppy installs, this is by far the most PAINLESS
upgrade I have ever been through. It was VERY easy for me to specify my nfs
host, mount up, get the files and be on my merry way.  Mechanically I think it
worked quite well, and is alot less work than the floppy of yesteryear. it
loads ALOT faster than the dual floppy system did as well.

I think there are some error conditions it could recover from nicer, and it
could use alot of prettying up (tends to overwrite words on the screen, leave
letters floating around, etc) but I was quite pleased with it.  Bravo to the
sysinst team on finally coming up with a nice way to do things.  I can't
comment yet on how it will do on an INSTALL.. but the upgrade was lovely.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.futureone.com
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html