Subject: Re: Installation Issue
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@melog.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/1998 08:47:08
At 21:22 18.01.98 +0100, Markus Illenseer wrote:
> Frankly, I am a bit disappointed about the new installation procedure.
>At first it looked easy, but second look it turned out to be almost
unusuable.

[...]

> Anyway, to my real problem. Using "upgrade" menu-point, I entered "sd0"
>as target and all went smooth. Then I use "unmounted filesystem" as option.
>Now, what exactly do I have to type as parameters? The INSTALL is not
>helpul at all here.
>
> Device: sd0f
> Filesystem: ffs
> Directory: /var/arch2/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.2/i386/binary/sets
>
> sysinst is unable to mount this and claims to be unable to continue.
>When I ctrl-z the programm and do "mount", I see the filesystem is already
>mounted /mnt/var/.  It doesnt help to add the "/mnt" to my path.

I've run into the same trap. Took me about a dozen retries until I figured
out what was going on...

I did not expect that my "unmounted" sd2g on a Jaz drive was mounted,
although it is marked with "xx" (ignore) in /etc/fstab.

It was a pain to see the 2 GB disk space fsck'ed on every run of the
installer. (Any plans for a BSD Journaled File System or somesuch?) After
the "cannot mount" message The Installer used to choke on the next fsck run
claiming a partition was mounted when df showed it wasn't, so I had to
start all over again.

The installer sure looks cute and may be a great help for a fresh install.
But for an upgrade, "tar --unlink -zxf" in single user mode is your good
old trustworthy friend.

YMMV	;)

	hauke

--
Hauke Fath                              Melog Software GmbH
                                        D-69115 Heidelberg