Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 1.3 on Gateway Solo 9100
To: None <samsara@panix.com>
From: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/16/1998 13:46:30
samsara@panix.com:
>    The second problem is that the boot process hangs at the ep1 device
>    "stage".  I have re-installed my 3com 3c589d ethernet card and it
>    seems to have been successfully probed, but the boot hangs here and
>    goes no further, no panic nothing.  The message is:

>    ep1 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x330-0x33f: 3Com 3C589 Ethernet
>    ep1: MAC address 00:60:08:8a:68:d3

> I have noticed the exact same thing on an IBM Thinkpad 560, as well
> as a Compaq Contura.  In both cases all devices that are not in use
> are disabled in the firmware.

I'm doing this on an IBM 560X right now too.

The kern.tgz kernel _seems_ to hang, but I really think its the
console driver that doesn't work. I generated another kernel that
probed ONLY for the devices I relly need to get it up (including the
ep pcmcia Ethernet driver), and yes that worked.

I configured the machine up to full multiuser.

Then I generated a kernel which included a few more devices - notably
the pms PS/2 mouse driver. pms0 was found during reboot, but then the
console went blank - but the machine came up to full multiuser and I
could log in from the net.

You can pick up the working "minimal" kernel (without pms) and its
config file from

  ftp://meckatz.pilsnet.sunet.se/netbsd/netbsd.OK    and
                                        FLAPTOP

respectively, if that is of any help to you.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman
# Lars-Johan Liman			 ! Internet: liman@sunet.se
# Ebone/NORDUnet/SUNET Operations Centre ! BITNET  : LIMAN@SEARN
# Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden	 ! HTTP    : //www.sunet.se/~liman
#					 ! Voice   : Int +46 8 - 790 65 60