Subject: Installing NetBSD 1.3 on Gateway Solo 9100
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allan E. Strand <astrand@linum.cofc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/1998 22:08:56
Hi all,

I'm trying to install 1.3 on a gateway solo 9100 laptop.

The distribution floppy boots fine, the install menu system comes up
(incidentally this is really a nice improvement over 1.2 and earlier)
and I partition my disk.

Following the INSTALL instructions, I did _not_ plug in my pcmcia
ethernet card until after I had copied the kernel in "kern.tgz" onto
my hard disk from a floppy.  So far so good.  When I then halt and
reboot, I confronted two problems, one of which I kind of resolved.

First, the reboot sequence hung on the wss0 device complained that drq
1 was in use and panic'ed into the debugger.  The message was:

wss0 at isa0 port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 0 drq2 1isa0: drq1 is not free

That was a verbatim transcription.

I really don't know what wss0 is, but I did notice that the device
probed just before was the sb0 and which provided the message:

sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq7 drq1: dsp v3.01.
audio0 at sb0

These messages inspired me to disable the on-board sound card using
the bios and later boots skipped this portion.

The second problem is that the boot process hangs at the ep1 device
"stage".  I have re-installed my 3com 3c589d ethernet card and it
seems to have been successfully probed, but the boot hangs here and
goes no further, no panic nothing.  The message is:

ep1 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x330-0x33f: 3Com 3C589 Ethernet
ep1: MAC address 00:60:08:8a:68:d3

and that's it.  Does anyone have any perspectives?

Thanks,
A.
--
Allan E. Strand                Internet:   stranda@cofc.edu
Department of Biology          Phone:      (803) 953-8085