Subject: Increasing the number of vm_mapent entries in NetBSD-1.2G
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/1998 17:57:02
	Hello folks.  I have a production machine running NetBSD/i386 1.2G
which works great except for the occasional panic due to running out of map
entries in vm_map_entry_create().  In looking at the code, it looks like we

maps.  I can't tell which map it is that's running short, but is there a
way to increase some or all of these maps?  Since it looks like if the
requester says that the memory can be paged out, we pull memory from the
general allocater, otherwise we pull it from the statically allocated maps,
I'm assuming my problem is that I'm running out of static memory rather
than dynamic memory as the machine has 96MB of RAM.
	So, what can I do to increase the number of maps, or map entries in
this kernel and if I change the numbers, what other  numbers should I cnage
to insure that I have enough virtual memory space for the static and
dynamic allocaters to do their thing?

P.S.  Since we  just started a new service on this machine today, upgrading
is not an option at the moment.  (These sources are from September 11  or
so.)

-thanks
-Brian

its