Subject: Re: PCMCIA Ehernet Card on IBM TP755CX Laptop.
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/1998 11:41:11
On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 11:28:42AM +0100, Gunnar Helliesen wrote:
> Deng Hongwei wrote:
> >
> >   3com: using irq5, but print
> >         'lpt1 page out'
>
> When the 3Com is ifconfig'ed at boot it hangs for a little while, prints
> an "out of paper" message and continues.
>
> I can also remember sysinst complaining about stray interrupts when I
> configured the network in order to install via NFS.

[...]

The stray interrupts message and the 'out of paper' message are the
same thing. 'stray' (i.e. apparently unaccounted for) interrupts
are directed to IRQ 7. Since lpt is connected to IRQ 7, it will
get the interrupt. The interrupt is bogus, and the lpt driver
incorrectly signals an 'out of paper' condition.

The lpt driver should not do this, it is a bug.

- Frank