Subject: Re: IOMega Ditto
To: None <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/1998 03:34:27
On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Bjoern Labitzke wrote:

> Hello...
>
> 1st: Please send the answers directly to me, too, because I haven't got my
> subscription-acknowledgement yet and don't want to miss something.
>

> I am going to buy an i386-based system and need a backup-system for it.
> The IOMega Ditto Max was suggested to me. There are several ways to
> connect it to the computer: Via parallel port, via floppy-controller or
> with a small card that is included with the drive.

Use the one that comes with the small card if it is SCSI. there is a
greater chance of its being supported. It would be viewed by the OS as a
drmovable hard drive, something like /dev/sdxx

> Now I am interested in some things:
>
> a) Is this supported for NetBSD? I fear not, because it may fit in the
> category "floppy controller based tape drives" that is mentioned in the
> "not supported" section.

I find that with very fast systems (>486DX33) those floppy interfaced
tape drives are nothing but problems. SCSI devices are worth the money.
There are SCSI based TRAVAN tape drives available.

> b) Is this going to be supported in very near future?
>
> c) Any experiences with that drive?
>
> d) Which alternatives may I try? I need to backup a 8GB-harddisk. The
> Ditto is supposed to provide storage for 3,5-7,0GB.

Have you considered using 4+ GB magneto-optical disk storage?