Subject: Re: 1.3 is really annoying me now
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/1998 21:47:00

> > Bios reported "No operating system"! What had gone wrong -
>
> I'm not sure what's going on here. Apparently your (SCSI) BIOS
> does not like the geometry used to create the MBR.
>
> [...]

I kind of noticed this too, but figured it was a dodgy SCSI controller.

What I ended up doing this morning was booting the system from the
floppy, dumping out of sysint, and relabeling the drive to use the first
track.  I was using the whole drive for the system, and the pfdisk
output showed that I was using the whole disk.  The sysinst disklabel
showed that I was skipping the first track, as if I was sharing the disk
with another OS.  I relabeled the drive to use the first track, newfs'ed
it, and reinstalled.  Everything worked fine.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom