Subject: Re: X11 distribution with NetBSD 1.3
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/1998 00:09:28
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 02:36:24PM -0800, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	     o XF86Setup is not included - previously with xf86 this has
> > 	       made configuring the system considerably easier...
> > 	       In fact I could not find any notes on how to setup X.
> > 	       (I ended up using my old Config & server)
>
> That needs tk/tcl, right? Since that's not included in NetBSD,
> xf86setup can't be either (correct me if I'm wrong; I've never
> actually used xf86setup). Although it is statically linked
> I think, but that still means you can't rebuild it from source,
> from a plain installation, which should be possible.

	(For reference: copying /usr/X11R6/{bin,lib/X11}/XF86Setup from an
	old binary distribution just works...)
	Maybe it could be made dependant on the tk/tcl package in pkgsrc?
	:)

> Docs: the X sets are just plain XFree86, compiled from our X source tree.
> The XFree86 docs are applicable, although you're right that they should
> have been pointed to more clearly.

	X11 on some ports should Just Work (sparc), while others need
	inordinate amount of setup (i386), so the primary X11 doc may
	need to be MD...

> > 	     o The XF86_SVGA server does not have the XKEYBAORD extension.
> > 	       I have both a UK keyboard plus a preference for making the
> > 	       CapsLock key another Ctrl key, and the XKEYBAORD extension is
> > 	       a very easy way of doing this.
>
> XKB? That is compiled in by default, strange that it should not work for you.

	Hmm - am download xsrc, will try to see if I can compile up the
	servers plus a copy of XF86Setup and see if it still reports the
	error...

	Thanks

		David/absolute

          .:. "I'm not an angel... I'm not that quaint..." .:.