Subject: Re: X11 distribution with NetBSD 1.3
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/1998 10:46:34
You wrote (in your message from Thu 8)
 > On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 02:36:24PM -0800, David Brownlee wrote:
 > > 	     o XF86Setup is not included - previously with xf86 this has
 > > 	       made configuring the system considerably easier...
 > > 	       In fact I could not find any notes on how to setup X.
 > > 	       (I ended up using my old Config & server)
 >
 > That needs tk/tcl, right? Since that's not included in NetBSD,
 > xf86setup can't be either (correct me if I'm wrong; I've never
 > actually used xf86setup). Although it is statically linked
 > I think, but that still means you can't rebuild it from source,
 > from a plain installation, which should be possible.

The 'host.def' config file helps in this case: you can build a
binary distribution with a set of options that differs from the
default which gets installed by 'make install'.

In the standard XFree86 distributions, this is done for Tcl/Tk and for
the linuxdoc documentation formatting tools.
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/bindist/NetBSD-ix86/host.def is the
host.def used to build the XFree86 distributions (copied in
xc/config/cf before making the World).

I hope this helps.

					Matthieu