Subject: Re: X11 distribution with NetBSD 1.3
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/1998 01:48:49
On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 02:36:24PM -0800, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	     o XF86Setup is not included - previously with xf86 this has
> 	       made configuring the system considerably easier...
> 	       In fact I could not find any notes on how to setup X.
> 	       (I ended up using my old Config & server)

That needs tk/tcl, right? Since that's not included in NetBSD,
xf86setup can't be either (correct me if I'm wrong; I've never
actually used xf86setup). Although it is statically linked
I think, but that still means you can't rebuild it from source,
from a plain installation, which should be possible.

Docs: the X sets are just plain XFree86, compiled from our X source tree.
The XFree86 docs are applicable, although you're right that they should
have been pointed to more clearly.

> 	     o The XF86_SVGA server does not have the XKEYBAORD extension.
> 	       I have both a UK keyboard plus a preference for making the
> 	       CapsLock key another Ctrl key, and the XKEYBAORD extension is
> 	       a very easy way of doing this.

XKB? That is compiled in by default, strange that it should not work for you.

- Frank