Subject: Re: 1.3 is really annoying me now
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1998 17:53:32

> Geir Inge Jensen writes:
> > Now I have to find out how to make a boot floppy with a custom kernel :)
>
> Very easy. Look at how the boot floppies get built in
> /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies to see how it all works.
>
> Perry

One caveat..  I believe due to vm/buffer cache inconsistency issue.  If
you have a large buffer cache, either because you have a lot of RAM, or
have adjusted it, the 'cat /*bin/* > /dev/null' doesn't properly flush
everything.  This seems to happen when the ramdisk is being built.  The
symptoms are that the MFS root can't be mounted, and panics with a bad
dir entry error or something.  I don't have the exact message, but I can
provide it if necessary.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.