Subject: Re: APM bugs!
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1998 21:06:32
Greetings NetBSD users:

Even with the latest "current" kernel, NetBSD still crashes after sleep
mode when the serial device (/dev/tty02)is access from the PCMCIA card
on my laptop.  I tried a Megahertz and an IBM PCMCIA 28.8 Fax/Modem
cards with the same unfortunate result.

Yes, I am very familiar with the "/etc/apm/suspend,standby,resume" files,
and in them I have scripts to kill PPP, and ifconfig ppp0 & ppp1 down.
However I cannot find any info on how to disable and re-enable tty02,
so I do not know what else I can add to those apm files.

Even when there is no activity on tty02 after boot, which means that I
also disable ppp, I still get a crash after my laptop wakes up from
sleep mode when it tries to access tty02.  A simple "ttyflags -a"
command will trigger the same crash as a pppd command.  During a crash
the system completely freezes.  Not even the numlock/capslock
interrupts work.  I suspect that the physical PCMCIA fax/modem card is
power off and the kernel gets stuck in an infinite loop trying to
access the device.

Does any have any ideas on how to disable and re-enable tty02?
Unfortunately, "ifconfig tty02 down" doesn't work.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long delay responding to this.
I've been out of the office for a while during the holidays.

Sincerely, Alicia.

PS.  To answer someone's question, I get the same crash regardless of
       whether or not I run X.