Subject: i386 ppp performance
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Carl Shapiro <samsara@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1998 16:01:06
For whatever reason, when using NetBSD 1.3, my Pentium Pro seems to
perform quite abysmally when using ppp over the serial port.  Very
often things just slow down, stop, resume, get even slower, stop,
etc..  I don't think this is all related to the speed of the remote
server as Windows 95 doesn't seem to exhibit this behavior on similar
hardware using the same ISP at the same time to the same remote
server.

I'm using an Intel PR440FX, I think it has some kind of Nat Semi
"Super I/O" chip.  In both cases I have been using a USR Courier
modem.  My /etc/ppp/options reads as follows:

/dev/tty01
57600
crtscts
defaultroute
modem
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/connect"

Has anyone had similar problems?

Carl