Subject: Re: 1.3 is really annoying me now
To: Geir Inge Jensen <Geir.I.Jensen@fm.sintef.no>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1998 18:11:48
On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Geir Inge Jensen wrote:

> >      Did you change your CMOS settings to match the geometry you used
> > when you ran sysinst?  The "No operating system" message is quite
> > often the result of a geometry mismatch between CMOS/BIOS and the OS.
>
> It is a SCSI disk, and there is no CMOS settings for it. But I didn't think
> it mattered, as long as I use the whole disk for NetBSD? The boot loader
> should be located in the first sector of the disk, no matter how it is
> laid out. Or am I completely lost here..

I've seen PCs that couldn't boot NetBSD in the "whole disk"
configuration.  (Olivetti and DEC come to mind.)  They insisted on
a "proper" DOS style partition table, a genuine DOS style MBR, and
NetBSD installed in a properly defined partition.

Actually, in the worst case, which I think was a DEC Celebris (but
might have been a DECstation 3xx machine; a rebadged Olivetti), we
had to keep a floppy permanently in the machine to boot from!  :-)

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"