Subject: Re: 1.3 is really annoying me now
To: Geir Inge Jensen <Geir.I.Jensen@fm.sintef.no>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1998 05:23:44
On Jan 7, 12:19pm, Geir Inge Jensen wrote:
} > On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 11:06:47AM +0100, Geir Inge Jensen wrote:
}
} > > The rest of the install went fine, and it asked me if the given network
} > > setting was correct. Well, I thought it was, and answered yes. Ok, time
} > > to reboot. Bios reported "No operating system"! What had gone wrong -
} > > didn't sysinst run installboot....? Yes, it did, I saw the output. After
} >
} > Sounds like you never installed a kernel.
}
} Of course there was a kernel. However, it never came that long - the PC
} bios didn't find the boot loader in the MBR, for some strange reason. I
} don't know why. I had to reformat the disk once more to get this working.

     Did you change your CMOS settings to match the geometry you used
when you ran sysinst?  The "No operating system" message is quite
often the result of a geometry mismatch between CMOS/BIOS and the OS.

}-- End of excerpt from Geir Inge Jensen