Subject: Re: 1.3 is really annoying me now
To: Geir Inge Jensen <Geir.I.Jensen@fm.sintef.no>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1998 13:36:39
On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 11:06:47AM +0100, Geir Inge Jensen wrote:
> I got a new machine to set up here, and thought that I should give the
> new sysinst a try. It was a brand new Dell Optiplex GXi Pentium Pro 233.
> The floppy booted fine, and I got the install menu. Looks fine so far -
> until I hit a key on the keyboard. No response!

This is indeed an annoying problem, it has been reported by other people.
Unfortunately, we did not hear about this until very close to the 1.3
release, and it was too late to fix it. I would love to fix this
problem, if there are people out there with Dell machines that
want to help debug, let me know.

> Now to the actual downloading. I wanted to try ftp, and it went on and
> downloaded a lot of sets. And after doing that, it asked me which sets
> that I wanted installed!!!! I didn't want all sets installed, but they
> were all downloaded already! What a waste of bandwith (and time).

The installation needs to be improved in this area.. It should be
in the next release.

> Bios reported "No operating system"! What had gone wrong -

I'm not sure what's going on here. Apparently your (SCSI) BIOS
does not like the geometry used to create the MBR.

[...]

> It booted, and it was time to configure rc.conf. I was asked which terminal
> type I had, and I knew it was pc3, but not everyone knows that. Maybe it
> is described in the install notes...

Yes, this is described in the install notes.

> Another boot, and the network came up fine (well, it answers a ping).
> Still no response from the keyboard. No problem, I thought, I can
> remotely log in, and try to tweak some timimg variables in the keyboard
> driver. However, inetd refuses to work correctly. It came with this
> message on the console: "pmap_set: 100001 1 17 1025: Address already
> in use" (several similar messages).

There appears to be a conflict between running rpc.statd from inetd
and running it as a daemon. Try switching off rpc.statd in rc.conf
(and perhaps others). I've never seen this happen using the default
setup with installs (and I tried several).

- Frank