Subject: Re: 1.3 is really annoying me now
To: The Man <scott@lackluster.net>
From: Geir Inge Jensen <Geir.I.Jensen@fm.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1998 12:19:39
> On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 11:06:47AM +0100, Geir Inge Jensen wrote:
> >
> > The floppy booted fine, and I got the install menu. Looks fine so far -
> > until I hit a key on the keyboard. No response! Another boot - still
>
> Plug your keyboard in.

Was that your constructive suggestion?

> > no contact with the keyboard. Hmm. Then I tried my own machine, which
> > btw. works fine with sup'ed sources and a custom kernel. Still the same -
> > no contact with the keyboard. Strange, the only explanation I could think
> > of was that something must have gone wrong during all the probing of the
> > generic kernel (but nothing weird on console output).
> >
> > improvements. As other has noted, I don't like the semantic of using
> > the label 'exit' to go back in the menu hierarchy. I would expect the
>
> I haven't seen the install yet, but yes it makes sense--you exit the menu.

Well, I did hesitate a long time before I used that menu option. I think
it sounds like exiting the menu-system. Maybe its just me.

> > program to really exit! It would also be nice if it could list all
> > media types that an interface is capable of - instead of relying on me
> > remembering the syntax. (It may be described in the install notes, which
> > I have _not_ read (well, I did back in 1.0)). Some error messages did
>
> Read the INSTALL notes, then.

I have used NetBSD for so long that I don't have to. But newbies may. It
was just a suggestion. I think it would be nice if the install tool could
be used without reading a mile long installation note.

> > clobber the screen, and was never removed! The text was mixed with the
> > menu contents, and it was getting hard to read what was going on. Maybe
> > some clearing of the screen from time to time would be nice.
>
> This is a terminal type problem, most likely.

I agree with you there.

> > Now to the actual downloading. I wanted to try ftp, and it went on and
> > downloaded a lot of sets. And after doing that, it asked me which sets
> > that I wanted installed!!!! I didn't want all sets installed, but they
> > were all downloaded already! What a waste of bandwith (and time).
> >

> If you don't want a package installed, don't download it.

Well, If I had the choice. As I said, sysinst downloaded all sets before
asking me which sets that I wanted.... I could of course avoid using
sysinst, but this should be fixed.

> > The rest of the install went fine, and it asked me if the given network
> > setting was correct. Well, I thought it was, and answered yes. Ok, time
> > to reboot. Bios reported "No operating system"! What had gone wrong -
> > didn't sysinst run installboot....? Yes, it did, I saw the output. After
>
> Sounds like you never installed a kernel.

Of course there was a kernel. However, it never came that long - the PC
bios didn't find the boot loader in the MBR, for some strange reason. I
don't know why. I had to reformat the disk once more to get this working.

> > seven tries with the boot floppy, I got contact with the keyboard again.
>
> Get a new keyboard.  :)

Why! Maybe I should get a working OS... I have tried with both a Dell and
a Digital keyboard. That is not the problem.

> > and everything should work. But it didn't. I was unable to get the damn
> > thing to boot (and I was getting tired of booting the floppy six times
> > before the keyboard responded). I decided to do the whole install once
>
> See above.  Also read the INSTALL documentation.
>
> > I wanted to try the NFS install, and I downloaded all sets down
> > to my own machine. Unfortunately, I did not have NFS in my kernel. So,
>
> Oops.  :)

Easily fixed.

> > Another reboot, and it gave me the login prompt. No keyboard response....
>
> See above.  :)
> I almost guarantee you this is a hardware problem.

Well, I can guarantee you that this is a driver problem. The keyboard
worked fine with Windows NT. Someone tip'ed me to try OpenBSD 2.2 boot
floppy. I tried it several times, and the keyboard worked fine on all of
them. So it is a NetBSD problem (that should not be in a _stable_ release).

> > Oh well, so I am unable to remotely log in, and the keyboard doesn't
> > work. So much for a stable 1.3....
> >

> That's what you get for using a PC.  :)

Maybe. I am soon going to try the pmax port :) But 1.3 runs without any
problems on my own P-II pc.

> HTH.
>
> Scott

- Geir Inge.