Subject: Re: 1.3 is really annoying me now
To: Geir Inge Jensen <Geir.I.Jensen@fm.sintef.no>
From: The Man <scott@lackluster.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1998 02:33:06
On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 11:06:47AM +0100, Geir Inge Jensen wrote:

> The floppy booted fine, and I got the install menu. Looks fine so far -
> until I hit a key on the keyboard. No response! Another boot - still

Plug your keyboard in.

> no contact with the keyboard. Hmm. Then I tried my own machine, which
> btw. works fine with sup'ed sources and a custom kernel. Still the same -
> no contact with the keyboard. Strange, the only explanation I could think
> of was that something must have gone wrong during all the probing of the
> generic kernel (but nothing weird on console output).
>
> improvements. As other has noted, I don't like the semantic of using
> the label 'exit' to go back in the menu hierarchy. I would expect the

I haven't seen the install yet, but yes it makes sense--you exit the menu.

> program to really exit! It would also be nice if it could list all
> media types that an interface is capable of - instead of relying on me
> remembering the syntax. (It may be described in the install notes, which
> I have _not_ read (well, I did back in 1.0)). Some error messages did

Read the INSTALL notes, then.

> clobber the screen, and was never removed! The text was mixed with the
> menu contents, and it was getting hard to read what was going on. Maybe
> some clearing of the screen from time to time would be nice.

This is a terminal type problem, most likely.

> Now to the actual downloading. I wanted to try ftp, and it went on and
> downloaded a lot of sets. And after doing that, it asked me which sets
> that I wanted installed!!!! I didn't want all sets installed, but they
> were all downloaded already! What a waste of bandwith (and time).

If you don't want a package installed, don't download it.

> The rest of the install went fine, and it asked me if the given network
> setting was correct. Well, I thought it was, and answered yes. Ok, time
> to reboot. Bios reported "No operating system"! What had gone wrong -
> didn't sysinst run installboot....? Yes, it did, I saw the output. After

Sounds like you never installed a kernel.

> seven tries with the boot floppy, I got contact with the keyboard again.

Get a new keyboard.  :)

> and everything should work. But it didn't. I was unable to get the damn
> thing to boot (and I was getting tired of booting the floppy six times
> before the keyboard responded). I decided to do the whole install once

See above.  Also read the INSTALL documentation.

> I wanted to try the NFS install, and I downloaded all sets down
> to my own machine. Unfortunately, I did not have NFS in my kernel. So,

Oops.  :)

> Another reboot, and it gave me the login prompt. No keyboard response....

See above.  :)
I almost guarantee you this is a hardware problem.

> Oh well, so I am unable to remotely log in, and the keyboard doesn't
> work. So much for a stable 1.3....

That's what you get for using a PC.  :)

HTH.

Scott

--
Scott Smith
scott@lackluster.net

Mail received via UUCP, read with Mutt, and composed with vi on NetBSD-1.2G.