Subject: Cardbus support in NetBSD 1.3?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/1998 19:08:10
I'm not sure I'm asking the right question here, but I'll ask it anyway!

For a while now I've been happily running NetBSD on a Digital HiNote laptop.  I
don't know the model number, but it is about 18 months old, and was the cheaper
one, with no sound card, DSTN screen, etc.  The PCMCIA support has been working
fine (initially jtk's stuff and now the code that was integrated into 1.2G,
which is what I'm currently running on it).

Today I got a newer HiNote to experiment with (a VP 700).  I've installed
NetBSD 1.3 on it but my pcmcia ethernet card (a Dlink 650 -- exactly the same
card I've been using in the older laptop) doesn't work with the GENERIC kernel.
Most often, the kernel finds the pcmcia slots, but doesn't find the ethernet
card in one of them, but occasionally (I think twice out of ten or so reboots)
it claims to have found an ethernet card, but it doesn't work.

Here is what I think are the relevant lines from an instance where the card
was not found at all:

NetBSD 1.3 (GENERIC) #0: Tue Dec 30 18:26:29 EST 1997
    perry@jekyll.piermont.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
Texas Instruments PCI1131 (CardBus bridge, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 4
 function 0 not configured
Texas Instruments PCI1131 (CardBus bridge, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 4
 function 1 not configured
pcic0 at isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1 iomem 0xd0000-0xd3fff: using irq 3
pcic0: controller 0 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has sockets A and B
pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
pcmcia1 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 1

And here is an example of when it claimed to find the Dlink 650 card:

NetBSD 1.3 (GENERIC) #0: Tue Dec 30 18:26:29 EST 1997
    perry@jekyll.piermont.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
Texas Instruments PCI1131 (CardBus bridge, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 4
 function 0 not configured
Texas Instruments PCI1131 (CardBus bridge, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 4
 function 1 not configured
pcic0 at isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1 iomem 0xd0000-0xd3fff: using irq 3
pcic0: controller 0 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has sockets A and B
pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
pcmcia1 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 1
ne2 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x340-0x34f port 0x350-0x35f
ne2: Linksys EthernetCard Ethernet
ne2: Ethernet address 00:80:c8:83:15:90
biomask c040 netmask c040 ttymask c0ca

Note that the ethernet address printed out is correct.  I then ifconfig'ed
the "ne2" interface up, which resulted in the kernel printing the message

	pcmcia1: card irq 5

to the console.  But when I tried to use the ethernet, I got

	ne2: device timeout
	ne2: device timeout
	ne2: device timeout

I'm not sure what the difference is between "Card Bus" and "PCMCIA" or
"PC Card Slots", or if there is a significant difference, whether NetBSD
supports the former.

The other possibility that occured to me is that this is related to the
PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK thread that appeared here a little while ago, but if
so, I'm not sure how to find out which device is causing a conflict and on
what irq.

Any help (including suggestions on experiments I can try) would be appreciated.

Duncan