Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 with 6.4 GB IDE disks?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/06/1998 14:54:49
On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Jukka Marin wrote:

: > You should try to add some printf's in wdcattach, so we can see why it doens'nt
: > detect the second drive (it's wdcattach which probes for drives, and call
: > config_found for each drive present).
:
: I'll see.. if nothing else helps, I guess we'll have to try this.  Thanks,

Okay, I know this will sound stupid, but...

...is the primary drive set to "slave present", and how new is the drive?
I've run into two rare circumstances.

First, when the master drive is not set to "slave present", and a slave
drive exists, it may work fine under DOS and even Win95, but may not under
NetBSD.  I found this while setting up a friend's system.

Second, older IDE drives may not be able to understand the messages from
newer, larger drives attached as slave.  Try swapping the master/slave roles
and see if both drives are recognized.

My biggest recommendation:  If the target system has two IDE busses, make
both master drives on a different bus.  You'll even gain speed doing this.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price