Subject: Re: disk types...
To: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/06/1998 18:09:56
On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 10:36:59AM -0600, Brian Stark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry if this seems like a basic question, but I don't understand what
> the "ST506" disk type is for. I am in the process of re-installing NetBSD
> on my system and my previous disk labels said the type was "ST506". My
> system has a 3.1 and a 2.0 GB EIDE-type drive installed. Is "ST506"
> something I want to use with these devices?

ST506 is the predecessor of IDE. The ST506 type only applies if you have
a very old disk. So, the IDE type is right for you (and should be
for 99% of all non-SCSI systems around these days). The ESDI/ST506/IDE
question is really only asked to determne if "bad144" type sector
forwarding needs to be done, which is not the case with IDE.

- Frank