Subject: RE: mb_map full
To: 'perry@piermont.com' <perry@piermont.com>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/06/1998 04:13:04
From: Perry E. Metzger:
> Gunnar Helliesen writes:
> > Jan  5 20:05:35 atlas /netbsd: mb_map full
>
> I believe you can fix these by boosting the NMBCLUSTERS option. See
> options(4) for details. Let us know if it helps!

Cool! Didn't know about that manpage, very nice! One option is missing
though:

When building the 1.3 Release kernel on my ftp server I thought I'd beef
up the number of maxusers in the kernel config, partly because I hoped
it would cure the "mb_map full" problem and partly because, well, the
system sometimes has a lot of users (hundreds of ftp users).

Running config(8) I got this:

atlas:/sys/arch/i386/conf# config ATLAS
ATLAS:8: warning: maxusers (256) > 64

So I RTFS again and discovered that I'd beefed it up past defmaxusers
and that this parameter is primarily used (?) for calculating the number
of required process slots etc. Am I correct in assuming that it is not
really necessary to go beyond 64 for maxusers even on a busy ftp archive
with hundreds of (ftp) users?

NMBCLUSTERS is now doubled at 512, maxusers is back to 64 and a new
kernel build is in progress, I'll let you know how it works out...

Thanks!

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2