Subject: Re: 1.3 does not seem to grok my adaptec scsi card
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/1998 11:45:27
> In message <24599.884028041@dnaunix.pa.dec.com>, "Chris G. Demetriou" writes:
> >>
> >> probe (ahc1:0.0): timed out in message out phase SCSISIGI == 0xb6
> >> probe (ahc1:0.0): asserted ATN-device reset in message buffer
> >
> >What kind of devices are attached to that SCSI bus?  (In particular,
> >what's at unit 0?)
>
> >From his earlier message:

I noticed that earlier message just as I got your reply.  D'oh!
(That's what I get for reading mail in reverse.  8-)

> scsibus0 at ahc1
> ahc1: target 0 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <MICROP, 4421-07   0502SJ, 0502> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
> sd0: 2047MB, 4049 cyl, 7 head, 147 sec, 512 bytes/sec

Well, something about this device is causing the probe to go source.
I'd try using the BIOS configuration menu thang to turn off
synchronous negotiation, and any other negotiation you can.  (Yes, I
know, sync used to work, but hey, it might be broken.  Get to a
working configuration by disabling everything, then enable things one
by one to find out what's breaking things.)

chris