Subject: RE: Upgrade experiences (i386)
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/30/1997 13:18:20
>> /sbin/{nfsd,nfsiod,mountd} as I recall.
>
>I knew of those. Anything else? Anyway, my point was it should be in the
>INSTALL doc.

Yes, it should be, and last I checked, it *is*.

Actually, it should really be dealt with automatically by sysint or
the older scripts.  The question of how to describe obsoleted files to
the install process so they could removed was brought up several
times, with the hope that the scripts and sysinst coudl share a
mechanism.  The Core members who designed the release(7) hierarchy
decided otherwise.

Earlier this year someone posted a script to current-users to look for
files in /{sbin,bin} that are duplicated in /usr/{sbin,bin}. Perhaps
that could go in the LAST_MINUTE file?

>I used the "custom install" selection. All sets were marked "yes" by
>default and so I ran with that. Maybe if I'd chosen the "full install"
>selection it would have omitted the etc set?

No. Sysinst always installs base and etc (and probably kern, if it
exists for a given port).

>Besides, the old /etc _was_ automatically preserved and an upgrade _was_
>needed, there are several important changes from 1.2.1 to 1.3.

>The INSTALL doc is a bit confusing, it says in the "NetBSD 1.3_BETA
>Release Contents" section:
>
>" etc   This distribution set contains the system
>        configuration files that reside in /etc and in several
>        other places.  This set MUST be installed if you are
>        installing the system from scratch, but should NOT be
>        used if you are upgrading.  (If you are upgrading,
>        it's recommended that you get a copy of this set and
>        CAREFULLY upgrade your configuration files by hand.)"

This is a Bug. It's true for the script-based install but not for
sysinst. Perhaps it could be clarified in the LAST_MINUTE file.
Perry?

>And then it says in the "Upgrading a previously installed NetBSD System"
>section:
>
>"The upgrade procedure using the sysinst tool is basically the
>same as an installation, but without the harddisk partitioning.
>Another difference is that existing configuration files in /etc
>are backed up, and merged with the new files."

True, except for the part about "merged with the new files".  Sysinst
doesn't do this. It doesn't know how. In general it's hard to see how
it could.  Another LAST_MINUTE ??