Subject: Re: NO NO NO NO PCMCIA NO NO NO NO
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/1997 10:24:00
Before I reply to the mail below (on useable irq's) let me make an
important point.  I am positive that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get an
irq/port scheme that will work on ALL laptops.  The engineering
choices are then not to produce a workable pcmcia system or to
produce a system that works on MOST laptops.  I would choose the
latter and I think that it is not too hard to come up with irq/port
choices that will allow most laptops install netbsd 1.3.

> From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
> Ok. The IRQ eventually usable for PCMCIA are: 5, 7, 9, 10, 11.
We might add 3 [No reason that the install floppy needs to support 2
com ports].

> Here is the list of IRQ's that can't be used for PCMCIA on at last one laptop:
> (it's from memory, I may have misse something)
> 5 is used by the sound system on some laptops.
And not passed by some ibm laptops.
> 7 is used by the sound system or // port on some laptops.
> 9 is used by the sound system on some laptops.
> 10 is used by the dockstation of at last 1 laptop.
I think that the pcic could be 10 not the pcmcia -- this would work ok.

> So we end up with only 11. But is it usable on all laptops ? I suspect no.
I'm sure that some laptop will have trouble with 11.