Subject: NO NO NO NO PCMCIA NO NO NO NO
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/1997 09:01:00
YOU CAN NOT PRODUCE A 1.3 INSTALL THAT DOES NOT SUPPORT PCMCIA.  YOU
MIGHT AS WELL EDIT THE INSTALLATION NOTES AND TELL PEOPLE THAT IF THEY
HAVE LAPTOPS THEY SHOULD USE FREEBSD OR LINUX.  (The hokey work around
in the installation notes does not cut it.  Especially the fact that you
can not use sysinst.)

Let me take a step back.  It appears that pcmcia allocates IRQ's from a
list of what it thinks are free IRQs.  This does not always work right;
it is also claimed that it does not work right on the install kernel
where not all devices are present to be probed for and reserve irq's.

I guess this is why you get the current silly of the pcmcia ep1 using
irq7.

This isn't rocket science.  Modify the irq allocator to not allow use of
certain irq's.  (I keep suggesting this over and over.)  If you are
opposed to this on general principles, then at least pass a #define
constant down to the pcmcia saying that you are building a boot kernel
and it should use a restrictive set of irq's.  NOTE: there is alreay
such a mask in the pcmcia scheme -- so assuming it works, we are only
quibling what values it should have.  You need at most 3 good irq's
one for the pcmcia interrupt and one for each of two cards.  I believe
that 9, 10, 11 are pretty safe.  (Note: according to the pcmcia notes
10 is used by the NEC VERSA dock for scsi -- who cares.  So you cann't
boot a NEC with a dock.  [I've never seen anyone else reserve 10.]