Subject: Re: NO NO NO NO PCMCIA NO NO NO NO
To: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/1997 19:44:24
   such a mask in the pcmcia scheme -- so assuming it works, we are only
   quibling what values it should have.  You need at most 3 good irq's
   one for the pcmcia interrupt and one for each of two cards.  I believe
   that 9, 10, 11 are pretty safe.  (Note: according to the pcmcia notes
   10 is used by the NEC VERSA dock for scsi -- who cares.  So you cann't
   boot a NEC with a dock.  [I've never seen anyone else reserve 10.]

	You misinterpreted that. IRQ 10 on a Versa is reserved by the
main board for the dock, in such a manner that some other devices
can't use it, whether or not the dock is attached. On my Versa 2405,
and I believe some of the 6000 models as well, the pcic works at irq
10 but actual pcmcia* utterly fail if they get irq 10.

	I haven't been watching the set of irq problems closely. Are
all potential irqs problematic for some laptop, or is there *any*
clear set that's safe to use?

	- Nathan