Subject: Re: sysinst report [was: 1.3Beta]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1997 23:15:00
Re: reporting the wrong disk geometry causing the MBR to be clobbered.

I've never see this happen.  Typically, when you give the controller
what it does not like it wedges and you need to reboot.  I didn't
have the MBR written to the wrong place (although, I guess it might have
been).  I had the MBR (at 0) zeroed.

I do remember now that I was asked during my installation if I wanted
to erase the disk.  I said yes.  If this blew away my MBR, yikes!
I know that in 1.2 installations I've occasionally been asked that
question and I thought it was stupid to ask but benign.