Subject: Re: pkgsrc ...
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1997 12:20:43
Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> BUT, one of the long standing criticisms of NetBSD is that there is no
> software build for it.  Now that we have a wonderful tool for getting
> software packages we should put it out there for all to see.  Having
> something that mostly works for most packages is a much better idea
> than forcing the user to find the pkgsrc himself.  The expanded tree
> is under 6Meg so I wouldn't even worry about wasting the space.

Yes. I would vote for handing out pkgsrc.tgz with 1.3, too.

The pkgsrc tree as of then is as stable as of any other time, i.e.
if a package works, it will work for all times that 1.3 exists, as
we use distfiles and modify them to work on exactly that 1.3 system
users have installed them. Telling users to get pkgsrc on their own
may lead them to packages that don't work for them any more.

And space really shouldn't be a problem for pkgsrc.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>