Subject: RE: sysinst report [was: 1.3Beta]
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.futureone.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1997 20:35:51
>On 05-Dec-97 Jonathan Stone spoke unto us all:
># >3. When you net install, you should be allowed to not specify a
># >   nameserver or gateway.  Then you would use the ip addresses to
># >   ftp or nfs to.
>#
># I'm surprised you'd want to type more addresses than necessary, but
># whatever.  How about we make it possible to enter 0.0.0.0 for the
># gateway/DNS addresses, and let you enter dotted-quads at the other
># points?  Would that work, if it was documented?
>#

>What if I'm installing on local boxes with no internet connection?  It seems a
>nameserver would be a possible nightmare to contend with.

If you don't select installation via the network (FTP or NFS), then
sysinst doesn't ask you for network configuration.

>Curious, can the new install use a ppp line to fetch the tarballs?

No. Not unless the install media has pppd. Even so you'd need to set
up chat scripts.  If you have a local network with a PPP link on a
separate box, then you can select a network install and choose the PPP
server as your default gateway.

when it's time to upgrade the PPP server, either prefetch the tarballs
to a local disk and install from there, or install using another
machine on your LAN as FTP or NFS server.

If it's truly a lone machine, download the tarballs onto the DOS or
AmigaDos (or whatever) partition and install from there.